Several recent studies have been carried out by U.S. researchers and place broccoli in a # 1 ranking of 100 healthy foods that you must eat. Broccoli contains isothiocyanate, substances with important antioxidant and anticancer effects. Free radicals alter the metabolic balance of lung cells and prevents their proper functioning, according to the study conducted by researchers at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, because of sulforaphane (one of the beneficial phytonutrients found in broccoli), broccoli consumption is good for lungs exposed to cigarette smoke and pollution.
Another study at the University of Warwick talks about the benefits that broccoli bring after consumption by people with diabetes. Sulforaphane reduce by 73% molecules known as ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species), whose their appearance in the body is caused by hyperglycemia. Hyperglycemia may cause increased ROS levels in the body even three times the normal limit. Thus, broccoli is a very important food and a great help in feeding people with diabetes.
- Vitamins A and C;
- Cellulose fibers;
- A small number of calories.
Why should we eat broccoli?
A diet rich in broccoli prevents many diseases and has several advantages:
- Block the development of various cancers (breast, colon, gall bladder, ovary or prostate) and stop their spread, due to the large number of antioxidants;
- Heal gastritis with Helicobacter pylori bacteria and some types of gastric cancer;
- Maintain an optimal blood pressure;
- Prevent cataracts;
- Strengthen the immune system due to high content of vitamin C;
- Prevents digestive disorders;
- Due to folic acid help pregnant women to have an easy birth;
- Prevents osteoporosis.
How to cook broccoli and not alter the properties?
The best way to cook broccoli is by water vapor, should never use microwave oven because in this way loses all nutritional value.